Motivation is crucial for any type of business success. Whatever your business is a typical brick and mortar or work from home, motivation will be the key. Maintaining the motivation that you need on a day to day basis can be very challenging. One must search deep inside to find out why they want their success and what they will do with that success.
Motivation by definition is basically the reason or incentive required to do something. Most people are unwilling to do a task if they can not see the end result. Knowing what the fruits of your labor will deliver, (if they are good enough) will define your reason and incentive. Understanding what you can do with your success is the greatest motivational factor there is.
Here are 5 simple techniques that will help you stay motivated at work.
- Know what you are doing. When you know your work inside and out, you will have the presence of mind to make yourself the expert. People know when they are being lied to or when you are fishing for answers to their questions. Study your business so that you can answer any and every question possible. This boosts your self esteem and confidence which will allow you to have an attractive personality when talking to others.
- Know your why. Your why is the reason that you are working in the first place. Everyone wants the best in life. That is not a good example of a why. Think hard about what you want out of success. Is it to work less hours? How about spending more time with the family? Maybe your why is to get out of debt. Every person in the world knows what their reasons are; you just have to let them know and write them down.
- Know your direction. Sit down and define a daily method of operation. Make a set of rules and procedures that you must follow in order to achieve your goals. Most importantly, post these methods, rules and procedures where you will see them every day. Put them in the most used spot on your desk. One thing that I do is to use this list as my mouse pad if you are using a desktop computer. This way it is always in plain sight and right below your hand where you can actually feel it.
- Have fun. Make your work fun. No one wants to work in a place that is dull and boring. Even if a task is dreadful to you, find the best in it and go for it. When you have fun with what you are doing, you will discover that it completed much faster. The faster and faster that you achieve things, the more fun they will become and you will actually look forward to doing them. As you master these tasks, seek out others that you have been dreading and tackling them as well. When you get good at a lot of things, work becomes enjoyable and fun.
- Personal rewards. After you have found your why, defined your daily method of operation and procedures and have defined your goals, get busy. Once you achieve certain milestones that will extremely obtain the goal, reward yourself. The reward does not have to be anything significant. It can be as simple as going to the ice cream parlor or to a movie. The best part about rewarding yourself is that you get to pick the reward. Make it something that you want or deserve. Bigger milestones deserve bigger rewards and once you finally achieve your main goal, life will be your prize.
Motivation is the determining factor of a successful work environment. The lack of it only means doom, despair and slow business growth and triumph. Staying motivated is vital for you to improve upon yourself and to make your work successful. It does not matter if you work for someone else or if you work at home , just have fun with what you are doing and success will be right around the corner.