Being a business owner is a wonderful adventure that is filled with highs and lows. It is much like life in that it comes with challenges. Here are seven tips to keep yourself motivated to achieve your best in business in spite of the hurdles:
1. Be clear about what you desire to achieve with your business. The name of the game is defining what you want to achieve and breaking these things out into bite size pieces so that you can achieve your goal. It is much like the saying, “how do you eat an elephant?… one bite at a time.”
2. Be focus. The more clarity and focus that you have will provide you with a confidence to go full speed ahead with your business; however the lack of clarity can have the adverse impact.
3. Review your goals frequently. I recommend reading your goals daily or at the very least weekly to be mindful of the direction that you are going and evaluate how you are progressing towards that goal.
4. Surround yourself with other business owners. Find some other friends or colleagues that you can draw strength and insight from. Discover how they cope with and overcome their business challenges. Ask them for tips, advice, and best practices.
5. Take time to reflect on how you can be more effective. I recommend that you take at least 20-30 minutes each week to take a look at yourself and your business to evaluate what is working and what is not working. What should you be doing more of and what should you be doing less of (i.e. more marketing and less development). What should you stop doing all together? Do not continue to make the same mistakes.
6. Get a business mentor or coach. The majority of the Fortune 500 executives have executive coaches, it is no secret that having a business mentor, motivator, seasoned coach in your corner can be a great investment into helping you become more productive and achieving your goals. Some studies show as much as a 500% return on investment.
7. Be balanced and be sure to laugh and play just as hard as you work. Rome was not built in a day and neither will your business, so remember to take some time to have some fun and do not take yourself so seriously. Go for a long walk and clear your mind. Exercise, ride a bike, volunteer with your favorite charity, or go dancing. Life is too short to simply be a stressed out entrepreneur trying to achieve some goals.
Finally, don’t wait for change, make the change!